This cake is mildly spiced and perfect to go with a cup of tea or coffee also fruit juices. I always loved the Christmas Cake; but if you have ever had it, you must know that it has a rich dark caramel colour and the flavour of the spices is also relatively strong. Some versions also have added alcohol with which the fruits are soaked for years!
I was looking for a simple version similar to the Christmas cake which can be had as a normal tea cake without too much preparation and process like the Christmas Cake. Hence I came up with this Spiced Fruit Cake.
Although I have named it as Fruit Cake, I have added only candied fruit (tutti frutti) to it. You can add your choice of dried fruit in the same proportion. Do not add too much of fruit as the cake will turn out to be heavy. If you wish to eliminate the candied fruit, you can exclude that in the recipe. Raisins will go well in the recipe, if you wish to add.
Do try the recipe and leave me a feedback!
SPICED FRUIT CAKE
Butter: 100 gm
Powdered sugar: 100 gm
Maida: 100 gm
Eggs: 2 Nos.
Baking powder: 1/3 teaspoon
Grated Orange rind: ½ orange
Vanilla Essence: ¼ teaspoon
Cocoa powder: 1 teaspoon
Coffee powder: 1 teaspoon
Tutti-frutti: 30 gm
Raisins: 1 tablespoon (Soaked)
Cashews: As required
Mix Spice powder: ¼ teaspoon (equal quantity of cinnamon, cloves and star anise)
- Beat the butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Add the grated orange rind and mix.
- Add the eggs one by one and mix properly till no traces of egg are visible.
- Add the baking powder, cocoa powder, coffee powder and the mixed spice powder to the flour.
- Mix well with the spoon.
- Add the flour in 2 batches to the egg mixture and fold lightly with spatula till well combined.
- Now add tutti-frutti.
- Now add the raisins.
- Mix lightly.
- Pour the batter in a well greased baking pan (6 inch).
- Decorate with cashewnuts.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degree Celcius for 30-35 minutes.